The Irish Para-cycling team continued their winning ways with silver and bronze medals in the women’s tandem road race at the Ostend World Cup on Sunday, May 7th.
After Katie-George Dunlevy and Linda Kelly bagged a gold medal in the highlight results from the time trial events earlier in the World Cup, the medals kept coming as more strong performances followed in the weekend’s road race events.
In the women’s tandem road race, both pairings of Jospehine Healion and Eve McCrystal and Dunlevy and Kelly were on the podium after an impressive display.
Healion and McCrystal took silver with their best result in a World Cup event as a duo while Dunlevy and Kelly continued their remarkable consistency that’s seen them podium every event they’ve competed together in at World Cup level this year.
Ronan Grimes and Richael Timothy continued their steady progress with sixth placed finishes in their respective categories. Damien Vereker and Mitchell McLaughlin finished 14th in the men’s tandem road race while Chris Burns finished 24th in the Men’s C2 road race.
The Cycling Ireland Para-cycling Commission are supporting a development squad at the Ostend World Cup as the riders recorded encouraging results and gained valuable experience in the exposure to the sport’s elite level.
In their respective categories, Cormac O’Callaghan finished 13th, William Clifford 14th, Allister MacSorley 18th, Scott Drummond 18th and Ivan Naluswa 27th.
Independent entrant Eoghan Clifford finished in 9th place in the Men’s C3 road race.
The Irish national team will be back in World Cup action in Huntsville-Alabama from May 26th to 29th.
Results from last week’s Ostend World Cup time trials can be found here.
Road Races Results
Ireland National Team
- Katie-George Dunlevy & Linda Kelly – Women’s Tandem: 3rd
- Josephine Healion & Eve McCrystal – Women’s Tandem: 2nd
- Damien Vereker & Mitchell McLaughlin – Men’s Tandem: 14th
- Ronan Grimes – Men’s C4: 6th
- Chris Burns – Men’s C2: 24th
- Declan Slevin – Men’s H3: DNS
- Richael Timothy – Women’s C3: 6th
Paracycling Commission Development Squad
- Cormac O’Callaghan – Men’s C1: 13th
- William Clifford – Men’s C3: 14th
- Ivan Naluswa – Men’s C5: 27th
- Ray Murnane – Men’s H4: DNF
- Allister MacSorley – Men’s H4: 18th
- Scott Drummond – Men’s C2: 21st
- Eoghan Clifford – Men’s C3: 9th